Tuesday 18 November 2014

Out Of The Ashes

Out Of The Ashes, by Michael Morpurgo.

This story is not a story at all. It all happened.

 On New Year's Day Becky Morley begins to write her diary. By March, her world has changed for ever. Foot-and-mouth disease breaks out on a pig farm hundreds of miles from the Morleys' Devon home, but soon the nightmare is a few fields away. Local sheep are infected and every animal is destroyed. Will the Morleys' flock be next? Will their pedigree dairy herd, the sows with their piglets, and Little Josh, Becky's hand-reared lamb, survive? Or will they be slaughtered too?

 The waiting and hoping is the most agonizing experience of Becky's life . . .
  
I found this book the other day in a drawer and I decided to read it, I wanted to read something light and this was a pretty short book. I don't really know where this book came from, I'm assuming my mum bought if for me a few years ago when I went through a stage of reading Michael Morpurgo but I just never got round to reading it. I wasn't expecting this book to wow me or anything, and it didn't. The book wasn't bad, I just found it all a bit mundane for me. I often read fantasy, adventure, dystopian types of books with magic and action and mystery. But this books didn't have any of that, I knew it wasn't going to be a book that would particularly interest me, but I thought I'd read it anyway.

This book was by no means bad, it just didn't do anything for me. I like to read books that take me away from my normal world, which is why I don't always find books about factual events particularly interesting. However that doesn't mean that I rule out all books based on factual events, it all just depends on the event really. I didn't really feel any attachment to any of the characters in this book, I think maybe it was just a fictional book to promote the events of the foot and mouth outbreak, and because I already knew about this there was nothing new to learn really, nothing that surprised me and no great mystery to uncover. I suppose that to those who aren't aware of the devastation this disease caused then maybe it would be a little more interesting to read, I wouldn't tell you to avoid reading this book, I just don't think that you would be missing out on a great deal if you chose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment